October 4, 2013

NEW DIGS SERIES: HOUSE PLANS

We're building a new home!  Building this place is a long time in the making and we're going really slow with the construction process.  You know the whole saying "a shoemaker's wife has no shoes?"  Well, a contractor's wife has no construction.  The hubs is so busy in the summertime working on all of his paying projects that the house gets little attention.  We're hoping that snow starts falling late this year and we can get a roof on before that time comes.

I designed the home.  I've had lots of time to think about the layout of the house.  My husband puts quite a few limitations on me when it comes to design when he's the builder.  He's a dirt guy, not a house guy.  He can build a house, but that doesn't mean he wants to spend several extra months in the construction process because I decide I want dormers, a hip roof, or 45 degree angles (gasp!).  So, the design is super simple and should be easy to build. 

The main floor is an open layout kitchen, dining, and living room area.  My office, the den, a powder room and the mudroom will also be on this floor. 



The second floor will consist of all the bedrooms.  Master, kids, and guest room.  

My absolute favorite house style is craftsman.  As simple as this house design was I really wanted to give the exterior a craftsman look.  We'll be using craftsman style windows, doors, tapered posts at entries, and brackets on the gable ends.



The next posts in this series will get into all the fun decorating/materials selection part of the house design!

No comments:

Post a Comment