October 21, 2013

NEW DIGS SERIES: MUDROOM DESIGN

I believe, without a doubt in my mind, that the mudroom will be the most utilized room in the house and it will also probably save my life.  Or at least it will keep my from literally going insane.  I cannot wait to have a room dedicated for keeping mud and dirt at bay.  The dogs and kids routinely come in the house covered in mud after playing outside and my contractor husband is knee deep (if not neck deep) in dirt most days.  My almost 6-year-old is so excited to have a "mudroom."  He thinks it's a room for us to have mud fights in.  I think I'm in trouble.  I started calling it the "cleanroom," but it hasn't caught on.

Here's the floorplan:


I wish I would have labeled the drawing, but the giant "X" you see is a dog wash (slash kid wash, slash husband wash).  The four rectangles on the other side of the room are cubbies.  Here's the design board for the mudroom (I'm finally getting photoshop, by the way, so I can finally make real design boards):


I'll be using the same cabinets as the base cabinets in the kitchen, the light fixture you see is one I'll be using above the sink in the kitchen.  The knobs are the same as the ones I'll use in the kitchen too.  Flooring is where I'm stuck.  I'll either buy a dark tile and install in a herringbone pattern or go with the encaustic tile if budget allows.  The encaustic tile is like $17.99/SF or something like that (ouch), but I love it so.  It's not too big of an area to tile, but if our budget is blown by the time we get to tiling the mudroom it's out.

No comments:

Post a Comment