October 15, 2013

NEW DIGS SERIES: KIDS BATH DESIGN

The space we have for the kids bath is really nothing exciting.  There's a tub, a toilet, and a vanity.  A single sink vanity at that.  I had originally designed the bathroom so that there were two sinks (one for each kid) but Brent (my husband) nixed that right away.  His argument was that when his family built a bigger house when he was growing up they put a double vanity in the bathroom that him and his sister were to share.  He said that there was NEVER a time that him and his sister were using the bathroom at the same time and that's really only the reason to have a double sink.  Why waste the space with a sink when you can have more drawer storage (which is what you really need with kids).  Seriously, kids have a lot of $h*t!  It truly amazes me how fast we've outgrown this house.  When it was just me and Brent and the dogs it was perfect.  Then came along one little monkey, things got a little tighter...then another little monkey, and man we're squished in here for sardines.  I joke a lot about being cramped and it's true but we manage.  It really could be much worse.  When  you have a small house you learn to live small and I really like that way of life.  I don't want to have a bunch of junk around that I don't need or want, but at the same time I need more room for the basics...like toilet paper.  Also, my son collects a lot of rocks, shells, and sticks and I want to encourage that.  We just need somewhere to keep everything.  Oh wow!  How'd we get here...I was talking about bathrooms.

Anyhow, I want the kids bath to be super casual and relaxed, not too precious.  A little bit cottage, a little modern, a little rustic.  Here's the design board I made up for this room.


I want a little bit of the same feel as the master bath because the rooms should flow.  But in this room I want black counters and white floors instead.  I absolute love the leather strap mirror.  White hex tiles instead of the black, oil rubbed bronze hardware and lighting, and rectangular white vessel sinks.

I like the neutral/black/white scheme because it will grow with the kids.  We can add colored towels and fun artwork and change them out through the years as the kids grow.


No comments:

Post a Comment