October 9, 2013

NEW DIGS SERIES: KITCHEN DESIGN

The kitchen is probably the room I'm most excited about for this new house.  I want it to be gorgeous and totally reflect my style.  The kitchen is open to the dining & living rooms so the layout was a little bit tricky.  I wanted a gigantic island so that our family of four could all sit down and eat at it together.  In our current home we all eat at the bar, but it only seats three...I always end up on the other side with my knees up against the cabinets (no overhang on the kitchen side of the bar).  We rarely use the dining table (usually because it's covered in the kiddos works of art), but hopefully that will change in the new house...more on that later.

Here's the kitchen layout:



The doorway that you see leading into the kitchen is from the mudroom.  I'm thinking of putting in a sliding barn door.  I have no doubt in my mind that that door will be open at all times, so why not make it look cool.



You can view my last post to view the kitchen layout with respect to the first floor.  Here's an elevation view if you're looking at the wall with the range on it:



I wanted this wall of the kitchen to be as symmetrical as possible.  I love open shelving but don't think I could live with a kitchen with only open shelves for uppers...I really need the storage space.  The base cabinets are all deep drawers.  I love using drawers for storage.  I wish I had more in my current kitchen.  Here's a view of the refrigerator/sink wall:

 
I really want to use dark grayish blue lower cabinets and white uppers.  The opens shelves will be reclaimed wood.  Countertops will be either Carrara marble or some type of whitish/grayish quartz.  Here's a few pics:






Appliances will be stainless.  I'll be using a 42" counterdepth refrigerator and a 36" gas range.  I want antique brass knobs/pulls and faucet.  The lighting will be either antique brass or oil rubbed bronze.  Oh, and I will absolutely have an apron front sink.  The flooring will be the same wide plank oiled oak that will be used in the rest of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment